Automation is an important factor in the process of industrialization and modernization. With automation in heavy industry, factories have been becoming more efficient in using energy, materials and human resources. Automation in heavy industry is the use of management systems such as computers, robots and information technology to control different types of machinery and processes in the industry. After mechanization, automation is the second step in the process of industrialization.
Automation is an important factor in the process of industrialization and modernization
The concept of “automation” originates from “automatic” and became popular in 1947, when General Motors formed the Automation Division. This is also the time when the industry began to apply a robust feedback control mechanism, although the technology was invented in the 1930s.
The prospect of a complete automation factory may be a long time coming, but today automation has become a widespread and important application in many industries. An automation system also has certain advantages and disadvantages.
An automation system also has certain advantages and disadvantages
The main advantages of automation are:
– Reduced operating costs: Industrial automation reduces the labor needed to operate machinery, resulting in reduced human costs such as wages, health insurance, and wages. vacation, sick leave, overtime or pension.
– Increase productivity: Automation systems can allow a factory to operate 24/7 in a week, a month and even a whole year. As a result, production capacity can be significantly improved.
– Improved product quality: Automation has the potential to reduce the number of errors people may experience. In addition, the products created by the automation system will be of more uniform quality.
– Increased flexibility: When adding a new step to the production process, managers will often have to guide and train employees on that new step. However, robots and computer systems can all be programmed to perform new tasks without training or guidance, thereby making the production process more flexible.
– Increased levels of safety: Automation systems can replace people in potentially dangerous environments, such as underwater, fires, nuclear facilities, or outer space.
However, automation in the industry also has limitations such as:
– High input costs: The shift from manual labor to automatic production requires very high initial investment costs. In addition, it is necessary to have training costs for the operation of modern and complex equipment and machinery.
– Security threats: Computer-controlled automated systems or robots are at risk of being hacked. When the automation system is attacked or compromised, the production of a factory will be delayed and serious damage will occur.
Despite some limitations, the advantages of automation in the industry are enormous. This is also the reason why automation has been and will be widely applied in the industry.
As predicted, Vietnam is not out of the trend of Southeast Asia when large factories like VinFast, Thaco, Huyndai,… increasingly use more robots in their production lines to maintain competitive advantages.
Creative Engineering is the official distributor of world-leading brands that supply machines and materials for manufacturers in heavy industry. With an expansion of skilled engineers, we now also design and provide factory automation solutions customised for our customers. Contact us to take your business to new level of greatness!